There’s no need to fear learning something new, like learning to do organic SEO for your business website. The phrase “organic SEO” simply refers to the practice of making your website more visible to the search engines, without having to pay them for advertising to do so. In the long run, it can only help you. In the short run, you can’t really do much damage, especially if your website is not ranking anyway.
SEO is a strategy of cumulative techniques which directly affect how search engines like Google find, index, and rank your site. Unfortunately, there is no simple formula for improving the ranking and page placement of your site in a Google search. However, there are parameters which can be factored into the creation of the content you generate to improve the ranking of your site. When you create original content for your site you must always use these parameters to improve your page placement.
The operative word here is – always.
SEO Basics for Small Business
These are the parameters to keep in mind when creating fresh content:
1. Keyword in Title
2. Title Begins With keyword
3. Title Contains At Least 3 Words
4. Title Length does not exceed 66 characters
5. Permalink Contains Your Keyword
6. Meta Description Contains a Targeted Keyword (Meta Description is the short info blurb Google includes when placing your site on a search results page.)
7. Meta Description Contains up to 160 Characters – not more
8. Description starts with a Targeted Keyword
9. Meta Tags contain assorted Targeted Keywords
10. H1 Tag Contains the main Keyword (H1 = Heading 1, and H2, H3, etc. are similar.)
11. H1 Tag Starts With Your Keyword
12. H2 Tag Contains a different Targeted Keyword
13. H3 Tag Contains another Targeted Keyword
14. Your Post Content contains more than 300 words
15. Content has a Keyword Density of 2 – 3 uses of your Primary Targeted Keyword, placed at the beginning, middle, and end of your copy
16. First 100 Words contain your Primary Keyword
17. Last 100 Words contain your Primary Keyword
18. At least one Image with keyword in the alt tag
19. At least one external Anchor text link containing the keyword
20. At least one internal Anchor text link containing the keyword
These are the 20 most important parameters the search engines use to find, index, and rank your site. While it is true that adhering to a few of these parameters can be done manually, being able to do so thoroughly and consistently is best achieved through the use of an SEO Scoring System. (This can easily be done with a plug-in for your website.)
An SEO Scoring System should automatically evaluate the content you create, even as you create it. It should then give you an SEO Score, say 0-100%, based on your adherence to these factors. Your goal should be to always create content which scores in the 90% range. This is how you will be able to bring your site to the top of the page for Google searches for your chosen keywords.
In other words, if the keywords and phrases you have chosen are relevant to your site, this technique will improve your page placement with the search engines.
In addition to these factors, it is also helpful to use a Readability Check, perhaps based upon the Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease Scoring System. This will evaluate the average grade level at which the reader will find your content easy to digest. (This post received a 7th grade score, for example, a good target area for online reading.)
SEO is a long-term strategy of content creation with strict adherence to the rules of optimization. There is no quick-and-easy formula for success. It is not difficult, but it does require commitment to the principles of creating quality content and the factors by which the search engines perform their task.
For more information on SEO basics for small business, check out the Online Marketing Tips eBook from SEO Writer Pro, which contains tons of online marketing and SEO tips.
You can also get in touch with us directly for help with your web content, keyword research, or organic SEO needs.